by Helen Alinson
The story of the dreaded spike!
A comprehensive, illustrated and indexed account of the Milton Union workhouse from 1834 to its closure and the continuing life of the building as a geriatric hospital. It is a story of harsh dealings with the poor which over the years was gradually softened
- Riots when the new workhouse was set up
- Early bleak years under an incompetent Master
- How those who would not pick oakum or break stone were locked up
- Tramps came in their thousands every year
- Cholera epidemic
- Poor design of the building with its rudimentary sanitation
- The Master accused of being a spy during the First World War
Index, illustrations, 136 Pages, paperback.
ISBN 0 904373 09 6